** Fruit of Labor World Cultural Center Newsletter
Address: 4200 Lake Ridge Dr., Raleigh, NC 27604
(919) 231-2660 – Anytime
(919) 876-7187 – Day
Fruit of Labor to Perform at People’s Music Network Winter Concert
During January 27-29, 2017, the Fruit of Labor will open a major Friday evening PEOPLE’S MUSIC NETWORK (http://peoplesmusic.org/) concert of freedom music in Greenfield, MA.
They will also make presentations of music and discussion on their more than 30 years of political organizing activism, as well as using their cultural works, songwriting, musical performing, educating and inspiring efforts in support of organizing southern workers and Black freedom struggles. Read more here (http://fruitoflabor.org/artist-fellowship-fruit-labor-singing-ensemble/) .
“A Better Man” video recorded and filmed live outside on Keb’ Mo’s back porch.
Human rights conference considers Obama’s impact, rallies at Nissan
TOUGALOO, Mississippi—The 20th anniversary of the Southern Human Rights Organizers’ Conference made one thing clear: This is not the moment in history to rest on our laurels.
Organizers who had convened December 9-11 at Tougaloo College, a historically black college, agreed President Barack Obama’s eight years in office had not lifted up People of Color, particularly the Black community. However, several attendees wondered why more people had not shown up in the face of a Donald Trump presidency.
Heated conversations took place around the role Black men must play in learning about the burdens Black women carry. Conference organizers also acknowledged the impact of sexism in the Civil Rights movement, which had alienated some Black women.
This year’s conference was dedicated to former Jackson, Mississippi, mayor Chokwe Lumumba. A rally took place at a Nissan plant in nearby Canton, where workers have toiled under poor conditions—one employee had recently died.
Victory at Standing Rock is Under Threat
Dear workers and friends for justice,
The Fruit of Labor Singing Ensemble, the NC Public Service Workers-UE Local 150, the Triangle Area, NC – Freedom Manifesto /Black Liberation Unity Committee, Black Workers For Justice and many of our allies/friends stand in solidarity with our Native Peoples’ Brother and Sisters!
Less than two weeks ago we won a historic victory for tribal sovereignty. Our Sisters and Brothers of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, the Oceti Sakowin elders and headsmen, the International Indigenous Youth Council, and other water protectors defeated the corporate financed and supported Dakota Access Pipeline. Read more ** here (http://fruitoflabor.org/victory-standing-rick-threat/)
All events take place at the FOLWCC unless otherwise listed.
* 6^th , Friday; 7pm FINANCIAL HEALTH WORK SHOP SERIES;
* 6^th, 8 pm Wine & Cheese Networking Social; Free, but donations are welcome
* 8^th , Sunday; 12-3:00pm; Fruit of Labor Singing Ensemble Meeting/Rehearsal & Jam
* 15^th, Sunday; 11:30-2:00pm; Fruit of Labor Singing Ensemble Meeting/Rehearsal & Jam
* 15^th, Sunday; M.L. King Jr.’s Birthday ; Watch a thought provoking film & participate in our lively discussion/critique/analysis; 2:30pm – 4:30pm; $5 suggested donation. Trivia Contest & Refreshments.
* 17^th, Tuesday; Forum on Islamaphobia & the Links to the Assault on Workers Rights, Immigrant Rights and Racism.; 6:30-8:30pm; sponsored by Muslims for Social Justice
* 21^st , Hip Hop 4 Justice presents “The M. L. King, Jr. America Doesn’t Want you to Know”; discussion & food – feeding the mind and the body; 4:00pm
* 22^nd , 12-3:00pm; Fruit of Labor Singing Ensemble Meeting/Rehearsal & Jam
* 27^th – 29^th , Fruit of Labor Singing Ensemble are the Artist In Residence at the People’s Music Network’s Winter Gathering in Greenfield, MA.
Check our ** website (http://www.fruitoflabor.org)
for further updates and other upcoming events.
Need a special place for your special event?
The newly renovated Fruit of Labor World Cultural Center and the World Cultural Caféare your place. The 2000 sq. ft. World Cultural Center, with its big screen and surround sound theater, is the ideal intimate setting for:
• Parties & Game Nights
• Organizational & Business Meetings
• Classes, Seminars & Workshops
• Religious & Family Gatherings/ Reunions
• Bridal & Baby Showers
• Movie Screenings
• Gatherings for Watching Sporting and other Events
• Art Shows
• Small Concerts & Fundraisers